Acer notebook has dual touchscreens

Acer notebook has dual touchscreens
Acer has unveiled their latest Iconia notebook today, one that includes dual touchscreens, with no physical buttons necessary.

Each multi-touch display is 14.1-inches.



Additionally, the gadget has an Intel Core i5 processor, a minimum 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Each display is LED-backlit, with an HD resolution of 1366x768. Both displays also have Gorilla Glass protection, protecting from scratches and smudging.

Users can use both screens to display a single app, or display multiple apps on different screens. When you put both palms on the bottom screen, a virtual keypad immediately pops up.

A "Gesture Editor" allows you to create custom gesture controls, while "SocialJogger" tracks all you social networking activities in a single interface.

There is no word on price or release date.

Written by: Andre Yoskowitz @ 24 Nov 2010 14:12
Tags
touchscreen Acer
Advertisement - News comments available below the ad
  • 18 comments
  • Joshewah

    Science.

    X360 - iXtreme1.4 ||| Xbox - EvoX Dash ||| PS2 - CC 2.0 PRO SLE ||| Dreamcast ...lol ||| NDS - Acekard 2/M3 Simply/EZ Flash 3-1 ||| Rooted HTC Hero with Ic3rom

    24.11.2010 15:10 #1

  • Mr-Movies

    No keyboard? YUK! A lot of money and more to go wrong, pretty dumb I'd say but then dumb seems to work these days.

    24.11.2010 15:40 #2

  • jeff_2

    I foresee this being expensive.

    If you open up your mind to much, your brain may fall out

    24.11.2010 17:22 #3

  • beanos66

    Originally posted by Mr-Movies: No keyboard? YUK! A lot of money and more to go wrong, pretty dumb I'd say but then dumb seems to work these days. no crud stuck between the keys...yay

    24.11.2010 18:25 #4

  • Sophocles

    Quote:no crud stuck between the keys...yay Nope that's true! However when was the last time you priced a keyboard against LCD real estate?

    "Please Read First Post in This Thread: Only use latest BD RB with AVISYNTH 2.57, FFDSHOW Rev. 3326, Matroska 1.9.42.1.

    Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/
    .

    24.11.2010 18:47 #5

  • KillerBug

    I wonder how many minutes you can run on a charge...I am guessing less than 60.

    Sorry Acer...if I wanted to try to type on a LCD, I would have an iPad.

    25.11.2010 02:38 #6

  • cyprusrom

    All I hear is a bunch of people whining for no reason...other than "wish I could have one, but will never be able to,therefore I KNOW is crap", even though no one tested it yet.
    I think is an awesome concept. Just being able to have porn and email on full screen at the same time, good enough for me!

    25.11.2010 09:02 #7

  • Mr-Movies

    Originally posted by cyprusrom: All I hear is a bunch of people whining for no reason...other than "wish I could have one, but will never be able to,therefore I KNOW is crap", even though no one tested it yet.
    I think is an awesome concept. Just being able to have porn and email on full screen at the same time, good enough for me!
    Like I said dumb is in!

    25.11.2010 09:55 #8

  • cyprusrom

    Originally posted by Mr-Movies:

    Like I said dumb is in!
    And that's probably coming from an iPad drool-er of some sorts:)...
    I bet that's what some people said when the first mobile phone ever was in the horizon..."Gee, the battery will run out"; "you mean no wires? That's preposterous! That's just DUMB!"

    25.11.2010 10:07 #9

  • fb2000

    It's about time there was a FULL touchscreen notebook with Windows 7!!!

    26.11.2010 18:02 #10

  • Sophocles

    Before investing in a touchscreen keyboard think about the possible downsides.

    1. More expensive
    2. Requires more battery power which means shorter usage time.
    3. Will be back-lit so lights will have to be replaced in time.
    4. Drop something on it and the LCD cells will explode like micro-water-ballons thus requiring a screen replacement.
    5. It will be impossible to see the keyboard if one is working outside in the day.
    6. The unit will be heavier to carry

    It's not really a bad idea just not a practical one since there are no real functional benefits.

    "Please Read First Post in This Thread: Only use latest BD RB with AVISYNTH 2.57, FFDSHOW Rev. 3326, Matroska 1.9.42.1.

    Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/
    .

    26.11.2010 18:28 #11

  • Mr-Movies

    Originally posted by Sophocles: Before investing in a touchscreen keyboard think about the possible downsides.

    1. More expensive
    2. Requires more battery power which means shorter usage time.
    3. Will be back-lit so lights will have to be replaced in time.
    4. Drop something on it and the LCD cells will explode like micro-water-ballons thus requiring a screen replacement.
    5. It will be impossible to see the keyboard if one is working outside in the day.
    6. The unit will be heavier to carry

    It's not really a bad idea just not a practical one since there are no real functional benefits.
    See there are smart people out there!

    26.11.2010 22:18 #12

  • ZippyDSM

    This is awesome those dissing it are just fuddy duddies(and no creaky around to poke at either).

    Now the down side is price and battery life but hey think of this way it will last as long as a normal netbook on a 12000MA li on battery, but I think the battery would be half the cost of the unit.... mmmmmmm

    hehehehehehehe hey its no worse than the first portable computer hell those things could pull a muscle or 2!!

    Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy!
    Ah modern gaming its like modern film only the watering down of fiction and characters is replaced with shallow and watered down mechanics, gimmicks and shiny-er "people".
    http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

    27.11.2010 21:01 #13

  • Mr-Movies

    Shame on you Zippy you should know better, but then again your the guy that hangs power supplies from the outside of your PC so I guess I can understand your lack of insight here. :~)

    27.11.2010 21:30 #14

  • keebles

    great, now people can watch porn on two screens lol

    SoftModed PS2
    Maxtor 80GB installed with games on it
    FREE HD Loader
    http://www.geocities.com/c2k60004/index.html
    Youtube.com: keebles21

    27.11.2010 21:55 #15

  • SoulGLOW

    Originally posted by Mr-Movies: Originally posted by Sophocles: Before investing in a touchscreen keyboard think about the possible downsides.

    1. More expensive
    2. Requires more battery power which means shorter usage time.
    3. Will be back-lit so lights will have to be replaced in time.
    4. Drop something on it and the LCD cells will explode like micro-water-ballons thus requiring a screen replacement.
    5. It will be impossible to see the keyboard if one is working outside in the day.
    6. The unit will be heavier to carry

    It's not really a bad idea just not a practical one since there are no real functional benefits.
    See there are smart people out there!
    Actually it is back-lit by LEDs which have can be turned on and off dozens of times per second for over a hundred years in temps ranging from below freezing to above 150F. Oh and they require minute amounts of energy to be illuminated. As for the glass Which was developed by Dupont decades ago its damn near indestructible. So apparently you can sound smart but in reality not know what the hell your talking about.
    Here is another site with more detailed specs: http://www.laptopspec.net/2010/11/acer-iconia-dual-touch-screens-laptoptablet/

    it states:
    Acer Iconia is the worldís first 10 finger multi-touch dual-screen laptop/tablet with the Acer Ring apps that ICONIAís touch features and controls. The Virtual Keyboard can be launched from the Acer Ring or by placing both palms on the bottom display.

    Acer Iconia has two 14-inch displays have HD 1366◊768 resolution, high-brightness Acer CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT LCDs and take advantage of cutting-edge technologies supporting all-point multi-touch for precise on-screen input
    The Acer Iconia is boasts an Intel Core i5-480M, i5-560M and i5-580M processor and integrated Intel HD graphics (128MB RAM), up to 4GB of DDR3 memory, and a 320/500/640/750GB hard drive.
    The Acer Iconia also equipped with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0+HS, 3G mobile broadband, a USB 3.0 port, two 2.0 ports, a S/PDIF interface, gigabit Ethernet, an inbuilt microphone, Acerís CrystalEye webcam (1280◊1024 resolution), VGA and HDMI outputs, a 4-cell battery providing 3 hours of operate, and runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.
    Acer Iconia will become available in the UK on 16 January 2011 and expected price of £1,500.

    Apparently it does weigh 6 freekin pounds though.

    27.11.2010 22:54 #16

  • ZippyDSM

    Originally posted by Mr-Movies: Shame on you Zippy you should know better, but then again your the guy that hangs power supplies from the outside of your PC so I guess I can understand your lack of insight here. :~)
    Yes so when windose locks up I wont lose data from a hard reset...tho I did get annoyed witht he secondary PSU now has a 1050wat enermax, still planing to put my HDDs on a battery backup, going to rectifiers and some 12 volt to 5 volt converters so I can feed my HDs both the battery backup which wont be used drawn on untill the ATX power fails, I know I missing soemthing (like brains,skill and know how but fck it i like building things damanit!)

    PPpfffttttt put a 10 cell 5LB battery in it for gosh sakes!!!
    :P

    Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy!
    Ah modern gaming its like modern film only the watering down of fiction and characters is replaced with shallow and watered down mechanics, gimmicks and shiny-er "people".
    http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

    28.11.2010 00:14 #17

  • Mr-Movies

    Originally posted by SoulGLOW: Originally posted by Mr-Movies: Originally posted by Sophocles: Before investing in a touchscreen keyboard think about the possible downsides.

    1. More expensive
    2. Requires more battery power which means shorter usage time.
    3. Will be back-lit so lights will have to be replaced in time.
    4. Drop something on it and the LCD cells will explode like micro-water-ballons thus requiring a screen replacement.
    5. It will be impossible to see the keyboard if one is working outside in the day.
    6. The unit will be heavier to carry

    It's not really a bad idea just not a practical one since there are no real functional benefits.
    See there are smart people out there!
    Actually it is back-lit by LEDs which have can be turned on and off dozens of times per second for over a hundred years in temps ranging from below freezing to above 150F. Oh and they require minute amounts of energy to be illuminated. As for the glass Which was developed by Dupont decades ago its damn near indestructible. So apparently you can sound smart but in reality not know what the hell your talking about.
    Here is another site with more detailed specs: http://www.laptopspec.net/2010/11/acer-iconia-dual-touch-screens-laptoptablet/

    it states:
    Acer Iconia is the world’s first 10 finger multi-touch dual-screen laptop/tablet with the Acer Ring apps that ICONIA’s touch features and controls. The Virtual Keyboard can be launched from the Acer Ring or by placing both palms on the bottom display.

    Acer Iconia has two 14-inch displays have HD 1366◊768 resolution, high-brightness Acer CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT LCDs and take advantage of cutting-edge technologies supporting all-point multi-touch for precise on-screen input
    The Acer Iconia is boasts an Intel Core i5-480M, i5-560M and i5-580M processor and integrated Intel HD graphics (128MB RAM), up to 4GB of DDR3 memory, and a 320/500/640/750GB hard drive.
    The Acer Iconia also equipped with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0+HS, 3G mobile broadband, a USB 3.0 port, two 2.0 ports, a S/PDIF interface, gigabit Ethernet, an inbuilt microphone, Acer’s CrystalEye webcam (1280◊1024 resolution), VGA and HDMI outputs, a 4-cell battery providing 3 hours of operate, and runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.
    Acer Iconia will become available in the UK on 16 January 2011 and expected price of £1,500.

    Apparently it does weigh 6 freekin pounds though.
    So whoís smart someone who believes the entire marketing BS and puts their blinders on or someone who is technically savvy and tries to address all aspects, good and bad, of a product? What you have said or referred to hasn't changed any of the issues I see or what Sophocles has laid out, they still stand. I can also guaranty you that a 4 cell battery with two back lit displays and a solid processor are not going to run for 3 hours of continuous usage no matter what you think of back lighting technology. Also Iíll bet that glass will break, even if it is bullet proof glass, but Iím also sure that it is somewhat durable as well as it would need to be, itís still an issue though. For me and most normal people hard keyboards are horrible, they have been around for decades now and why do you think nobody uses them, unless they are in a hazardous environment? Give up? They suck! But like Iíve said dumb is in and kids donít look at the big picture as long as itís new and rad it must be good. So in summation if you think it is so great blow your wad, $3000+, and see what happens you wonít see me wasting good money on this, itís your funeral.

    Zippy Ė I probably shouldnít take a cheap shot like that but I was just trying to have fun with you, however you still donít need to have a second PS hanging outside your case as there are several alternatives that we have discussed before.

    28.11.2010 15:45 #18

© 2024 AfterDawn Oy

Hosted by
Powered by UpCloud