The phone was plugged into the wall while Damor tried to make a call.
His friends rushed him to the hospital, where he was declared dead from electric shock.
In 2010, a similar incident claimed the life of an Indian woman using a Chinese-made knockoff phone.
"Shanzhai" (Chinese imitation) mobile devices have become very popular in India due to their cheap prices, but the Indian government has tried to crack down as the devices usually lack IMEI numbers and have untested batteries that are considered hazardous.
Written by: Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 Jun 2011 11:59