The tool was released earlier in the week to jailbreak iOS 6 devices - iPhone (incl. iPhone 5), iPad, iPad mini and iPod touch - and has since now had two subsequent updates. The first, addressed an issue with the Weather app and long reboots, while another update (v1.2) disables OTA updates since they don't work jailbreak devices.
In the first four days since the jailbreak was released, it had been run on over 7 million devices, according to Cydia founder Jay Freeman.
If you are considering running the jailbreak on your phone/ipad, make sure that you get the latest version of the tool. The homepage for the tool is evasi0n.com.
If you have already run the jailbreak but with a previous version, you can install the weather/reboot and OTA fixes within Cydia easily, just follow these instructions.
- Turn on your device and look for the Cydia app, launch it. Don't worry if you get a Preparing Filesystem message which hangs there for a while before going back to the lock screen - simply go back and run Cydia again and it'll be fine.
- When Cydia launches, tap Changes at the bottom of the app.
- There should be one or two "Available Upgrades", evasi0n 6.0-6.1 Untether and possibly UIKit Tools.
- Install evasi0n 6.0-6.1 Untether by tapping it, then "Modify", tap "Upgrade" and then "Confirm" it.
- Do the same to install the UIKit Tools update if it is there.
- REBOOT THE DEVICE right away.
See: Jailbreak iOS 6.x with evasi0n - supports iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad Mini
Written by: James Delahunty @ 10 Feb 2013 19:14